Standard Knife Holder
20mm Spacer for Knife Holder
Object Disc, 22mm
Weight: 82 lbs.
(W x D x H): 17.5" x 11" x 11.5"
The American Optical 860 sliding microtome is a fine instrument, ideal for accurately cutting hard objects such as bone, wood, frozen celloidin, and paraffin preparations. The heavy-duty frame, with its horizontal sliding track and precise feed mechanism, is securely mounted on a large hardwood base (21"w x 12"d).
Cutting thickness is adjustable from 1 to 40 microns using the automatic advance mechanism. When the automatic advance mechanism is removed, operation in manual mode allows for even thicker sections.
The American Optical 860 sliding microtome has easily adjustable vertical motion of specimen. A crank, geared to the 1/2″ diameter feed screw, allows the specimen to be moved, up to or away from, the cutting position quickly. The universal specimen holder allows X-Y orientation and manual advance and retraction. The specimen is moved precisely either automatically or manually, over a total feed excursion of 42mm. The specimen is oriented to desired angle by a bail and flange clamp with three adjusting screws.
The knife is clamped to a 3 1/2"w x 6"l block, which slides on a horizontal surface at the top of the main casting. The knife setting allows any desired cutting angle, or angle to direction of travel. A scale indicates the angle of tilt of the knife.
Our refurbished American Optical 860 sliding microtome comes with a standard knife holder, spacer for knife holder, specimen holder with "V" groove, advance mechanism, base board, 22mm object disc, and a bottle of lubricating oil.
Rankin Refurbishment Process
Every instrument undergoes a systemized, rigorous, down-to-the-frame refurbishment process to rebuild each instrument to its original specifications and intended use.
- Instrument decontaminated
- Preliminary inspection of functionality
- Instrument disassembled down to the frame
- Panels, chassis and internal surfaces stripped and prepped for painting
- Prepared surfaces primed and painted with industrial-quality, chemical-resistant paint.
- Labels replaced to original appearance
Refurbishment & Reassembly
- Mechanical, pneumatic, and electronic assemblies disassembled, cleaned, restored, and reassembled
- Worn assemblies, components and parts replaced with new assemblies, components and parts where needed
- New components and parts can include pumps, motors, heaters, cables, belts, O-rings, diaphragms, gaskets, tubing, touch-pads, bottles, casters, doors, lids, fittings, valves, and other parts
- Instrument reassembled to its original condition in accordance to OEM specifications
Diagnostics & Troubleshooting
- Assemblies function tested and adjusted for proper operation
- Full system diagnostic testing conducted
- System tested for electrical safety
- System successfully calibrated with certified materials to ensure proper functionality
- Quality Control testing conducted on established parameters using certified tools and control material
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.